GIRL STUFF: mascara

The other day myself and couple other editors at The Kit had the opportunity to test and play with a bunch of mascaras, looking for the best mascara for specifics like: lengthening, curling, volumizing, and dramatic. So it was a bunch of chicks sitting around a table playing with makeup, talking and testing them out. FUN, right?
While everyone was talking about their favourites and why, it got me thinking about all the little details that make makeup, and mascara in particular, what it is. 
The tube is hugely important in a great mascara. You can have a great product but if it isn't in the right tube, it wont be your favourite. There are little details in a tube of mascara that make it feel luxurious and rich: a good click when you close the cap, the colour and texture of the tube, and of course, a nice wand. Everyone has their favourites: a hard comb-like wand, a fat and bristly wand, a tiny and easy-to-manage wand. 
Obviously the product is important too, but everyone knows that the packaging is paramount.
(I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious similarity between mascara and...men, which in my eyes makes this way more funny. Think about it. But enough of that you sickos, this is a post about mascara).  

These are the mascaras that I tested:
Left to right: Guerlain, Stila, Sephora, Marcelle, GOSH, Clinique, another Marcelle, and Yves Rocher. A varied bunch.. high-end to not-so-high-end. One even has an extendable brush. For me, I like my mascara to make my lashes really black, thick, and long. My lashes aren't bad, but they are blonde and you legit can't see them if i'm not wearing mascara. It makes my face look naked and I hate it. I haven't left the house without mascara since I was like..14. No joke. 

Let's just talk about how small this Clinique mascara is. It's specially designed for bottom lashes. It's literally the size of my finger. 
LOOK AT HOW SMALL THE WAND IS. It's minuscule. Cool idea, but I just don't have the patience for it. I just cant handle spending like, 5 minutes on my bottom lashes. 
So, all in all, these two were my favourites: Guerlain and Sephora. They both have really awesome, unique, rich packaging and they go on thick and make my lashes BIG, which I like. The Yves Rocher one was a close second (third?). But let's talk about the Guerlain one for a second. IT IS SCENTED. Literally smells like a fresh shower. So fucking luxurious. 

What's your favourite mascara and WHY?

No comments:

Post a Comment