colour upgrade: VANITY DIY


I'm super proud of this DIY because I think it's the first one i've actually done on my own, without the help of my dad or someone else more capable and handy. This vanity has been around for years - it actually used to be a sewing desk that I re-purposed as a vanity because I needed somewhere to sit and do my makeup. I think it was my grandmothers at one point too. Needless to say, I wanted to do a good job of re-doing it and not completely ruin the thing. 
My room was feeling desperate for a pop of colour, and when I saw this DIY on pinterest I realized that coral would be perfect. (Upon second glance I realize that their colour is way more orange than mine.. thank god I chose more of a pink.) So I hauled my ass to Home Hardware the other day and bought:

-a decent paintbrush
-a sanding wedge
-Zinnser Oil-Base Cover Stain (THIS IS KEY!)
-a quart of paint in the colour of your choice

All in all this came to about $45, and I have tons of primer and paint leftover. So, worth it. 
This is the before. It's a nice piece of furniture, but it was pretty sad looking and the top had a lot of imperfections and it just kinda creeped me out. 

I moved the vanity into our living room where there is more space, laid out newspapers, removed the knobs, and cleaned and sanded the whole thing. Then I painted on the Zinnser shit. It prime's the furniture for paint and it was totally essential in this case because of the imperfections on the top. It just smooths everything out for a nice working surface, and makes it easier to paint. Use a shitty brush when you do this because it will ruin it. This shit is strong and it stinks. Open your windows. Or get high on fumes like I did. 
The primer dries fast, in like a half hour, and then I applied a second coat just to make sure. Then two coats of the neon-y pinkish coral colour that I randomly and impulsively chose. 
Let it dry for a couple hours (or days like me cause i'm lazy).

Voilaaaa! I couldn't be happier with the results. It's such an awesome pop of colour and i'm so happy that I actually put in the time and effort to make it look this wicked. I swear, the best part of a DIY is the sense of accomplishment. 

(also, apologies for the shitty iphone camera. we're workin on it).

No comments:

Post a Comment