YOUR MISSING BEAUTY PRODUCT: BAKING SODA

Yeah, really.
I was skeptical at first too, but hear me out. 
I became intrigued with the idea of using baking soda as part of my beauty routine initially from Into The Gloss (which is quickly becoming my favourite beauty blog). They profiled this adorable guy, whose beauty routine is homemade and organic (and genius). He uses baking soda on his face and body as an exfoliant.

It sparked in my mind Liv Tyler’s ITG feature, where she says she puts a ton of baking soda and Epson salts in her baths. So, if Liv Tyler does it, it’s gotta be legit, right?

I’ve always had a tough time with my skin. It’s both oily and dry, and very sensitive. I’ve experimented with tons of products: store bought cleansers like Cetaphil, Clean & Clear, bar soap, and even stuff prescribed by my dermatologist. I still never found the right product. Harsh cleansers strip my skin leaving it red and dry, and super-gentle cleansers don’t give me the clean feeling that I like. No balance! 

I’ll try just about anything for beauty (and for fun.. ahem) so why not try rubbing baking soda all over my face and body? I poured some in a cup, brought it in the shower, and exfoliated my whole body with it – face, hands, feet, and I even used it in my hair.  Turns out baking soda is a fucking MIRACLE PRODUCT that people seem to have forgotten about in the past 40 years.
It’s an excellent gentle cleanser/exfoliator – just mix it with water and scrub. It’s perfect for anyone with acne or problem skin. Add some to your shampoo to make it clarifying for really clean hair (I’m convinced my hair stays clean longer if I use it). Oh you dropped some in the shower? No big deal ‘cause you can clean like, your ENTIRE house with it. It’s great for getting rid of odors (sprinkle some in your shoes, down the drain, on your cutting board). Clean your fruits and vegetables with it, and if you’re growing tomatoes sprinkle some on the plant to make them sweeter. You can even brush your fucking teeth with it (makes them whiter!).

The best, best part about baking soda is that it is so cheap it is practically free. It’s usually less than a dollar and will last a couple of months. I’ve been using it steadily for the past week now and I am totally happy with the results, moreso than I have been when trying a new store-bought cleanser. My skin has significantly evened out and feels soft and refreshed after all the chemical-laden shit I’ve been smearing on my face for all these years.

Just TRY it!




No comments:

Post a Comment